- positive and positive integers
- positive and negative integers
- negative and negative integers
Draw up a 'rule' that would guide us when we multiply integers (especially when it involves negative integers).
Vocabulary List: Numerical Part. Sign. Positive. Negative. Product.
You are going to work in pairs or threes.
1. One of you will download the file "Chapter 2 Investigative Activity - Addition and Product.numbers" (from GoogleSite: 01 Mathematics). Another will display the blog post so that you could enter your discussion into the Comments.
2. Refer to the worksheet "Product of Numbers":
- (a) Enter formula to find the value of "a x b" of the first set of numbers (i.e. (-4) x (-4)).
- Press ENTER and the spreadsheet will compute the value automatically.
- (b) We are going to tell the spreadsheet to use the row of numbers in Row 2 and Column B for computation.
- At the formula bar, click at C2 and select (C$2) absolute row. The spreadsheet will use the numbers in Row 2 for calculation.
- At the formula bar, click at B3 and select ($B3) absolute column. The spreadsheet will use the numbers in Column B for calculation.
- (c) To copy the formula, select cell B3, place the cursor at the bottom right corner. It will turn to a cross-hair. Now drag it to cover the entire area to be computed.
- (a) What happens when a positive integer x a negative integer (given that the positive number has a greater numerical value)?
- (b) What happens when a positive integer x a negative integer (given that the positive number has a smaller numerical value)?
- (c) What happens when a negative integer x a negative integer? How similar or different it is when compared the product two positive numbers?
5. Sign off the Comments with the name(s) of both of you.